Operation Texas: My memories.
Seven days after arriving in Chu Lai and  being assigned to the  Second Platoon and going through "new
guy indoctrination" the word comes down  "saddle-up, we're moving out". First chance to fly in a
helicopter! Also learned about  "hurry up and wait". Finally  got a chance to embark and as the last
Marine to board the assigned chopper I  got a door seat. I was mesmerized by the beautiful scenery as we
flew over Quang Ngai Province towards the village of Xuan Hoa....suddenly the doorgunner opens up.  I
can't figure out what he is shooting at.  It is hard to absorb everything that is going is all happening
so fast. We land and form a skirmish line.  Somebody says "fix bayonets, move out". Attempting to put
some fire into the hedgerow 200 hundred meters in front of me I see dirt kicking up near my feet. I
slightly raise my M14.  I'm firing from the hip thinking that my aim is off.... dirt continues to fly.  Sounds
like freight trains are going by my head...really incoming 50 caliber rounds. We make it to the hedgerow
and stop.  Lt. Gangle runs by, fully exposed to enemy fire,  holding his 45 and yelling for us to move out.
Somebody suggests we torch a hotch near our position...I pull out the Zippo and light the thatched roof.  
Help is needed down the line to assist the wounded.  The first person I encounter is Jesse Eastman. He is
badly wounded.  He tells those giving him aid to tell his son who was born five days earlier that he loved  
him;  something  I tried to do in 1985 with unknown results. We pulled the dead and wounded back from
the village and set up a perimeter. I remember the thirst and inability to stay awake...just exhausted!! All
night long you could hear Marines moving around and opening canteens looking  for water.  In the
morning as the sun came up the first person I saw was Lee Service from MIKE  Company as they moved
through our lines...what a good feeling to see him.
Marine Corps Birthday
November 10, 1965
Camp Schwab
Operation Texas Landing Zone
Beverly & Col. Gonzales
Captain Gonzales & SSGT. Schaffer
John Stoddard-Bootcamp1965
John Stoddard and his wife Peggy live in Huntington Beach, California.  John is retired after
35 years in the hospitality industry.
Jim Stevenson has
lived most of his life
in Arizona since his
discharge from the
Corps.  He and his
wife Martha recently
moved to
Washington State to
Jim Stevenson-Bootcamp1965
Lt Randy Gangle-Kilo Company
Lou Albert (r) and John Stoddard
went on R&R together in Bangkok  
0n July 30, 1966. On July 30th.
thirty-five years later with the help of
Joe Daly and happenstance they
reunited for lunch in Los Angeles.  
Lou lives in Van Nuys, California
and John lives in Pasadena California
Lou Albert-Kilo Company 1966
Lou Albert
KILO C ompany
John & David "Louie Louie" Cogdell
Corpsman David Cogdell.  All that knew
David had a great story about him. I
remember David bent over Steve
Valliere heroically trying to bring life
back as I ran past them on a narrow
jungle trail.  David came home early.  I
visited him in Modesto, California after
my return. Tracked him down one last
time while living in San Francisco in
1975.  Can find no new information on
him as of this date...David where are
2nd. Platoon at the Chu Lai airport March 1966.
Lt. Gangle front center and Stoddard center
second row.  PFC Vogel behind Stoddard with PFC Ed
Moyer to his left and Duval, back row right.  Black
Marine to Vogels right was from St Louis, Mo.  Sgt.
Tawksley (or Tanksley) front right and Sgt. Scrivner is
front left with Cpl. Ski kneeling behind Scrivner.
In the summer of 1966 while walking point
on a patrol south of DaNang I found the
trail and mailed it home for safekeeping.  In
1984 I was given the book
With The Enemy
and found references to
the leaflet on page 53. Fascinating story of
Marine PFC. Robert R. Garwood.  You be
the judge of his actions.
These pictures were provided by
Richard  Carnes
Main supply road out of Nui Kim
Son heading south to Ngan Cau
patrol base.  Follow the road and
you will hit the 3/1 perimeter below.
Pogues be aware
This was always my favorite
roadside sign.  I even went
looking for it in November
2002 half thinking it would
still be there
Ken Scrivner retired
as a Master Gunnery
Sergeant and now
lives in Alburquerque,
New Mexico. Ed
Moyer, back row,
2nd. from left
Stoddard at
base of Hill 10
Village Chief
Nui Kim Son
Stoddard with 12
gauge shotgun that
shot special shell
that contained
small darts.
John Stoddard (L),
Ken Kangus (R)
On 10 March 1966 with the early daylight the USNS Weigle  rode the incoming tide into DaNang
Harbor.  It was a beautiful day and young kids in round  woven bamboo baskets came out to greet us. I
had never seen kids so young smoking cigarettes.  Some of us spent 3-4 nights anchored in he harbor
before transferring to Landing Ships for five hour trip  to Chu Lai and assignment to 3/1on 14 March. We
arrived with only our sea bags, a sense of adventure, a gung-ho attitude and some apprehension. A
number of us who had been together since Boot camp ended up in 3/1 because our last names started
with the letter "S".  Jim Stevenson and I were assigned to 2nd. Platoon, Kilo Company. As a "new guy",
it was nice to have somebody to relate to.  We were also easy to identify...we were the only ones without
web gear, Helmut and M14. Having had the dangers of RVN drilled into our heads this started to make
me very uneasy. After a day or two we were directed to the Supply Area to pick-up our gear. The shock
came when we were told to pick through the gear from Marines who were killed or wounded on
Operation Utah to outfit ourselves.  I was handed a rusted belt of M60 machine gun ammo and some
steel wool and told to be grateful. I remember unfolding  the Ponchos and finding them covered with
coagulated blood...I picked the one with the least amount.  The reality of Vietnam began to set in.
The pictures below are from the Kilo Company reunion held at Camp
Pendleton in October 2004.  I urge you to attend a future reunion, they
are really a great experience.  Thanks to the organizers
Row 1
Jim Keely & Col. Gonzales
GySgt Pointer to right on
Ricardo Pardo
Joe Daily (red jacket),
wife Barbara on left.  
Bill Garcznski(R)
Norm F. Schaub
Cpl. Schaub
2nd. Platoon
Row 4, Jimmie & Freda
Wood, Ruth & Tito Acosta,
Ed Bartkoski, Ron Bice
Row 3, Woodrow & Vicky
Dickson,Sam Murphy,
Maureen & Dr. DeShazo,
Mrs. & Bill Garczynski,
Ricardo Pardo
Row 2, Tom & Dorothy
Nowik, Jim & Clara
Weathers, Doc & Mrs.
Row 1, Col & Sharon
Randell, Lou Albert,and
Mrs. Gonzales
Row 3
MCRD Graduation
Ed Bartkoski, Jimmie
Wood, Sam Murphy, &
Lou Albert..Standing in
back is Doc Novak
Manning, Albert,
Roger Osborne &
Row 4
Jimmie Wood-2004 Reunion
MCRD Museum
Jimmie Wood
Row 5
Lou Albert & Chuck Latting
Row 6
Maureen &
Peggy Stoddard
Maureen &
Claude DeShazo
October 2004
Row 7
Doug Deron,
Oct. 2004
Roger Osborne
Barbara & Joe Daily
Doug Deron,
Weapons Platoon,
Row 8
Tom & Dorthy Novak
Paul Burton
Weapons Plt.
Ron Bice and wife
Sam Murphy
(ltor), Woodrow Dickson
and Ricardo Pardo, 1st.
Jim Weathers, John
Manning and Tom
Row 2
Nui Kim Son
Back row (ltor) Tom
Nnowik, Ed Bartkoski
front row, Doc Novak,
Ron Bice, Ernie Hammer,
Lou Albert & Jim Keely.
3rd. Battalion, 1st. Marines
Marines, click on all images to
view larger image...then go to
lower right corner of picture to
view a full size image of
Antonio "Stoneman" Moses,
center of picture with back to
camera.  WIA and evacuated
August '66.  Lives in Alaska.
Don R. Foster,
Paragould, Arkansas.  
Located Don through
Chuck Atkerson who
lives in Jonesboro, Ak.
(H&S Co.)
Tattoo, right arm,
Marine named
Ski. Anybody
know name?
Dear John
I just want you to know, I'm so glad to have found you after all these years.  I'm so glad to hear you still had the
same email address, That I can finally thank you for sending me the letter and the wall rubbing. It's been hanging
on my wall ever since you sent it to me. It was such bad timing when I guess when I received the letter &
rubbing. I was just moving out of my Mothers house that weekend when I received it. When I went to write you
back, I couldn't for the life of me find the envelope with your address on it to get in contact you. It has been
bothering me for all these years. I could never thank you. So you can imagine my surprise when I happened to
stumble upon this website for vietnam and saw your name. It was like a neon sign sticking out at me. I couldn't
believe it. So then when I wrote to you, I'm thinking that was 8 months ago and he can't possibly have that email
address anymore. Well anyways, I won't type much more, I'll Save everything else for when I talk to you on the
phone.   Date: June 9, 1966

Thanks again for getting back to me,
Marines, see my comments at top of
page.  In 2006 Greg Eastman was able
to locate me and we had a nice
conversation about his father.  
Jesse Eastman, KIA
3/21/1966, Operation Texas
I'm lost for words!!  For almost twenty years your fathers dying words to a small group of fellow Marines were
carried in my head.  I was never sure they reached you, so in 1985 I initiated contact with your family.  After
sending the letter and wall rubbing and not hearing back I gave up, at least feeling  better that I had tried.  I've told
this story to a number of Kilo Company Marines who knew your father. I would like to talk to you...please send
me a phone number and a good time to call.  This weekend would probably be the best because of the time
Best regards
Date: June6,1966
Hello John,

I can't believe I stumbled upon a Vietnam website and was shocked to see your name and you writing you tried
contacting me back in 1985. I remember that like it was yesterday but I lost your personal info. I couldn't for the
life of me remember where I set the letter you sent and was never able to thank you. but I still have the item you
made and sent me.  If I have the right person, Please get back to me and I will write right back.  I hope you are
still using this email. Hope to hear from you soon.

Jesse's Son,
Greg Eastman
photos: Vietnam, Sunday, 24 July1966,
Sgt. Ken Scrivner holding a chicom a.p. mine
that he almost by Lcpl. John
Stoddard, k/3/1.  This happened just south of
Hill 10 following a sniper attack.
Chief’s daughter Lề ThÌ Tuyết Lê
Vietnam War Resources
Jimmie, Freda, Peggy and John
February 25,2009-Seattle,WA
Sgt. Ken Scrivner
Hello John, I am David's sister Joyce Lucido.  My nephew Phillip sent me all the info
and I would like to take this time to thank you for your story about our dear brother.  
David was never the same when he came home from Viet Nam, he lived such a
tortured life remembering all the god awful things that happened over there.  He was
such a brave loveable and devilish (haha) person, he tried so hard to overcome his
memories....he married twice, oh how the women loved him, but he could not shake
his demons.  He wanted children but was unable to have them......I thank God for all of
you boys who served with him, you are truly heroes. David fought long and hard for
the battle of compensation for "agent orange", I think he recieved his settlement in
December of l990 and died in Feb of killed me because he died alone in a hotel
room in Reno, Nev.  But you know John he actually died in Viet Nam.  I am sending
you the last picture we had of him the year before he died.  I don't know how to do it
on the computer so I will make a copy and send to you.  I would love to hear any
stories about David that you know of , I was so proud of him.....Thank You John and
God Bless You and all of company Kilo for a job well done!  If any of your buddies
would like to send stories please have them do so......
The picture on left is the from James
Robinson collection.  This is the 3/1
Battalion Area about five miles south of
Marble Mountain....not sure of
date...looks like monsoon season based
on the extra  water I see.